James loves basketball. He is a very dedicated player who practices really hard. Every day he runs around in the court, dribbles, makes those difficult jumps and practices shooting. All these movements put a lot of strain on his ankle. So, he puts on braces on his ankles for protection.
Little Samantha is James’ cousin. The family doctor told her to avoid putting pressure on her right ankle. Yet she hardly listens! So, her mother had her put on ankle brace. Now, even if she wants to run around, she can not.
In the cases above, we talked about ankle braces which solved the problems of James and Samantha. But do you know what an ankle brace is?
If you do, you can directly skip to the recommendations if you want.
But what to do if you don’t?
Then you should follow this article closely before choosing the best ankle brace to prevent rolling, that suits you.
So, What Is An Ankle Brace?
An ankle brace is a piece of protective/supportive garment that is worn around the ankle. It immobilizes the joint, provides support and protection while providing heat and compression to the bones. If you are recovering from an ankle injury, have chronic pain or simply just want to prevent an injury, an ankle brace is the best option for you.
Why Should I Wear Ankle Brace?
An ankle brace holds your ankle in place and prevents rolling. It provides support on the outside of the ankle, inside of the ankle or both, as needed.
In cases of the commonly seen inversion sprain, where your ankle rolls toward the sole of the foot, it is suitable to wear an ankle brace that provides support on the outside of the ankle. Whereas, in cases of eversion sprain where the foot rolls outward, an ankle brace that can support both the inside as well as the outside of the ankle is necessary.
You should choose the best ankle brace to prevent rolling and satisfies your other necessities.
Top 5 Ankle Braces To Prevent Rolling
We have put together this list after considering many products currently available on Amazon. You should be able to find the best ankle brace for you among these in no time.
ACTIVE ANKLE T2 ANKLE BRACE
Active Ankle and Cramer have been one of the leading names in ankle protection for the last decade.
Their T2 Rigid Ankle Braces offer high level of protection with a quick-fit single strap. It allows the ankle brace to be adjusted accordingly for both low-top and high-top shoes. It is recommended for either weak or injured ankle.
It especially targets at volleyball, basketball and football players.
- It is a hinged ankle brace that is sleek and less bulky
- It offers custom molded EVA padding
- It allows maximum forward/backward mobility
- It can fit either foot.
- It offers protection of a high level and prevents the ankle from rolling.
- It is less comfortable as it is a rigid type of ankle brace
- It allows for less side-to-side mobility.
BAUERFEIND – MALLEOTRAIN – ANKLE SUPPORT BRACE
Bauerfeind’s MalleoTrain ankle braces treat ankles sore from injury or surgery and helps reduce swelling.
- It provides medical-grade compression.
- Its specially contoured, three-dimensional knit fabric fits the shape of your ankle quite naturally.
- It does not immobile the ankle but still provides stability.
- It has cushioned pads that support the ankle bones and reduces swelling.
- This type of ankle brace is easy to put on.
- It does not slip, sit firmly and comfortably in position and prevents rolling.
- Different product is needed for either foot.
- You have to decide on the size of the product before ordering.
MUELLER SOCCER ANKLE BRACE
Mueller soccer ankle brace is, as named, specifically made for soccer players. It is a lace-up type of brace that helps prevent rolling. The ankle brace can be adjusted using the lace. That is one of our best picks among the best ankle brace to prevent rolling.
- It has supportive steel springs that prevent the ankle from rolling towards the sole of the foot.
- Its high front cut and narrow bottom allow more foot movement.
- It fits either foot.
- Sturdy plastic supports both sides of the ankle.
- It may be hard to put it on or remove.
- May feel a little bit uncomfortable.
MED SPEC ASO ANKLE STABILIZER
Med Spec ASO ankle brace is one of the most popular braces for the protection against and treatment of ankle sprains.
- The ankle brace not heavy as it is made of a light-weight material called CoolFlex.
- Elasticity of the cuff adds to the foundation of straps and laces.
- The product can be put on either foot.
- Ballistic nylon boot provides high level of durability and strength.
- With all its features combined, it is extremely comfortable to wear.
- Any type of shoe can be worn over it.
- Each product is sold separately.
- The size guide may be complicated.
DOCBEAR ANKLE BRACE
DocBear ankle brace is a sleeve type ankle brace that also provides adjustable ankle wrap that helps keep it in place and keeps the ankle from rolling.
- The ankle brace has a bilateral design.
- It is latex-free and made from breathable material so, your foot remains dry and sweat-free.
- Crisscross straps provide useful support and stability to the ankle by keeping it in place.
- High elasticity allows easy and flexible movements.
- It can be adjusted accordingly by using the wrap.
- May feel uncomfortable
Benefits of Ankle Brace
- Prevents ankle from rolling.
- Reduces the risk of injury or re-injury.
- Helps reduce swelling.
- Helps regain range of motion and assist in the return to activity.
- Compared to taping or wrapping, it is easier to wear an ankle brace.
How To Choose An Ankle Brace That Is Best For You
Here are the things you should look out for when choosing an ankle brace that is best for you:
- Comfort: The very first thing you should focus on is comfort. Does it feel comfortable when you put on the ankle brace? Observe if it restricts your blood circulation. The ankle brace must not put too much pressure on your ankle.
- Size: You are buying an ankle brace but if the size is not right then you’ll not be able to use it. While choosing the ankle brace that is best for you should double-check if the size is chosen correctly. See if it is suitable for the specific ankle.
- Material: You should check the material the ankle brace is made of. It should meet your needs properly.
- Durability: You may have to put on the ankle brace for a short period of time or all day long as necessary. So, so you have to see if it is durable enough to sustain your needs.
- Proper fit: Take your time to adjust your ankle brace so it’s not too loose nor too tight, It may take several adjustments but getting a perfect fit is a must. Make sure you didn’t buy an ankle brace for the other ankle!
- Budget: It is necessary before buying that you check out the price and make sure you are satisfied with it.
- Details: Keep an eye out for the details of the product you are choosing. Make sure your followed the proper method that is suitable for that specific product for each has their own measurement methods.
How do I stop my ankle from rolling?
Choose your footwear carefully, improve your balance and if necessary, wear ankle braces.
What are rolling ankles?
A rolling ankle is an ankle injury where the bones in the ankle is shifted in an awkward way resulting in stretch or tear in the ligaments.
What does ankle support do?
Ankle braces serves as the external supports to limit certain motions such as plantar flexion or inversion and provide awareness of where your ankle is in space.
Can ankle braces be put on with socks?
Yes, you can wear ankle braces on top of your socks. It is better to use athletic socks. You should follow the instructions provided with your ankle brace.
How long should I wear an ankle brace after rolling?
Depending on the severity of your injury the time period may vary. It’s best if you consult your doctor in this regard.
Should I wear my ankle brace to bed?
Yes, you can. However since you do not risk the of rolling your ankle while sleeping, you can just remove it.
You can read this article to know about best ankle brace for sprain
And this article will tell you about the treatment for sprained ankle