[As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases]
If you are undergoing an awful, scratchy feeling in your throat then you are probably facing a sore throat (pharyngitis) problem. Its general reason is infection in the throat.
A sore throat is one of the most annoying and painful conditions. Wondering what helps a sore throat or more to the point, how to heal a sore throat?
An effective treatment doesn’t always involve expensive medications. You’ve got a nice little pharmacy right in your kitchen cabinets! If you’re ready to find out what natural remedies can help fight different types of infections, let’s get started! There are a lot of home remedies for throat pain you can make at home on your own.
We always take a cup of tea in case of cold, flu, frog voice or when any unusual feelings pop up in the throat. Here you can do the same as tea is proven to soothe throat irritation fast from early ages and this is the best medicine for sore throat, trust me.
But which are the best tea for sore throat? Let’s find out what we have for you on Amazon.
Ginger Root Tea
Ginger is an ayurvedic powerhouse. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which ease the swelling of the throat when it is sore. It boosts the immune system and is anti-viral, making it effective in fighting off the causes of sore throat at their root and coughs. Again, ginger is an anti-nausea aid that can calm and soothe the body.
The other super ingredient in this recipe is raw honey. Raw honey is a powerful antioxidant and has antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Raw honey is also a natural antibiotic and works effectively on throat infections while soothing sore throats.
It’s important to use raw honey and not pasteurized honey, as once its pasteurized or treated in any way, the honey loses these amazing healing properties and becomes the same as any other refined sweetener.
Lemon, ginger root and honey can combinedly be the best tea for treating sore throat and cough. It can fight infection, lessen inflammation and relieve the pain from sore throat. So, this type of tea is one of the best tea for sore throat. Don’t add large doses of fresh ginger to avoid side effects like diarrhea or irritation.
- Chop some fresh ginger root and mix it with1 liter of water & boil for up to 5 minutes.
- Transfer it into a mug and wait till it lowers its too hot temperature.
- Then squeeze some lemon juice & add raw honey up to your taste.
Chamomile is a daisy-like plant that has been used in herbal medicine for centuries, which has both floral nature and healing characteristics. Chamomile tea is well known for its soothing and calming mechanism and helping with respiratory problems around the world. It can lubricate the throat and remove hoarseness and pain. It is known to have anti-anxiety, sleep-inducing anti-inflammatory properties that can lessen swelling and redness, promote restful sleep in addition soothing your throat gently. Besides it has antioxidant properties that participate in tissue repair and health. Inhaling hot chamomile infusion can reduce the inflammation of the mucous membranes of the mouth and throat and also fight against some other respiratory problems relating to the common cold. Studies have found that it can help fight infection and reduce pain. So, definitely, it is one of the best tea for sore throat. Chamomile tea is very easy to find at grocery stores and online. It contains a pleasant, mild aroma and flavor & no caffeine at all.
So, it can be your quick choice to relieve you from sore throat and cough, have a night of restorative sleep, home medicine for fighting infection and relaxing.
Brewing recipe :
- Pour boiling water onto 2 teaspoons of the dry chamomile flowers or can use 1 tea bag of chamomile and let the water cool to 80°C.
- You can also add honey according to your choice.
Licorice Root Tea
Being 50 times sweeter than sugar, licorice root is most popular as it is one of the sweetest teas in the world. Licorice root is widely used in traditional medicine for hundreds of years to ward off sore throats and many other health problems. It is frequently used in many herbal tea blends as it has a natural sweet property. Licorice root contains glycyrrhizic acid, which is a well-known anti-inflammatory element. It also has antiviral and antimicrobial substances that eliminate potential sore throat causes and help to protect against many diseases. Its aspirin-like qualities help relax a sore throat if gargled or consumed as a tea and eliminates symptoms of the cold and flu.
People suffering from extremely sore throat and cough, can try this as licorice root tea is one of the best tea for sore throat.
This tea also delivers many antioxidants that boost your immunity and improve the throat health.
Licorice root can be dangerous in large quantities as it can cause high blood pressure and heartbeat irregularity. Be careful with how much you drink if you have certain health conditions. Again, pregnant women and people with hypertension should avoid licorice in all forms.
- Use 1 teaspoon of dried licorice for each mug.
- Infuse the licorice root in boiling water for around 5 minutes then strain out the licorice and slowly sip the tea.
- You may also add a piece of lemon juice to boost the amount of vitamin C that will increase immunity.
- Don’t drink the tea quite often—not more than once per day for a maximum of three days.
Slippery Elm Tea
Slippery elm tea is produced from an herb called slippery elm tree which has been used as a natural remedy for centuries. Slippery elm tea is popular to treat cold and flu because it can soothe inflammation.
Biochemical components like mucilage and tannins are found in this tree bark. This mucilage is a substance consisting of several carbohydrates and turns into a cloggy substance if mixed with water. When you drink slippery elm tea, this jellylike matter covers the mucous membranes, which helps to mitigate throat pain and reduce coughing. Its tannins generate effects that work against inflammation and can reduce throat irritation along with encouraging the formation of cytokines which boost the immune system. If a mom is facing constant sore throat during pregnancy, slippery elm tea is one of the best tea for sore throat.
Slippery elm tea is also good for the digestive system.
Brewing recipe :
- Mix 1 teaspoon of slippery elm bark powder to simmering water and stir it well.
- You can add lemon juice and honey if you like.
- Let the tea sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Then stir it again & drink.
Marshmallow Root Tea
Marshmallow root is very common in Europe and Africa since the middle ages. This traditional medicinal plant has soothing properties and helps to alleviate the irritation caused by dry cough, asthma, bronchitis, cold symptoms that can worsen sore throat pain. Like slippery elm tea, marshmallow root secretes a gelatinous substance called mucilage, which coats and lubricates the throat & gives relief when you swallow it.
But mucilage may act reciprocally with other oral medicine, so be cautious. Sadly, this mild tea doesn’t taste too good, but can be an effective home remedy for sore throat & cough. Also it’s safe to drink several cups per day for its soothing ability.
Brewing recipe :
- Take a spoonful of marshmallow root in a regular mug of water.
- Boil the water. Add marshmallow root and then heat it for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Sieve marshmallow the root from the tea. Add sweetener if you desire.
Loaded with catechins and antioxidants, green tea can be your excellent choice for sore throat, whether you gargle it or enjoy cup after cup all day long. Green tea has numerous other is benefits that may improve overall functioning and healing.
It is a ri-saltwater-antioxidants that also contains anti-inflammatory mechanisms which may help to lessen the swelling of tissues in the throat. It relieves of amed throat and protects your body to fight against bacteria or viruses responsible for the symptoms. It can help for quick weight loss, minimize the possibility of heart disease also boosting immunity. Also, gargling gr,e, en tea shows Sia soresoreant effects up to 12 to 24 hours. This tea contains amino acids that keep you calm, relaxed and focused – just what we need on a hard-working day.
Green tea is popularly known as the best medicine for sore throat and stuffy nose. Its caffeine level is very low. So you can easily have this tasty & refreshing beverage in the evenings to relieve a sore throat without feeling wide awake. extremely sore throat when swallowing
Brewing recipe :
- Use 1 teaspoon of green tea or 1 green tea bag for each mug.
- Infuse the tea in hot water (not too hot or it may become bitter) for 2-3 minutes.
- Lemon or honey will strengthen the sore throat-healing effects and also extra flavor of green tea. So, add these while brewing.
Brew green tea with hot water (not warm water) to gargle. Let it cool for 1/2 minute. Gargle with this for about 30 seconds or more.
Another ingredient that provides your kitchen is turmeric, which is ideal for sore throats. It offers almost similar health benefits at ginger tea regarding cold symptoms. This organic tea contains anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and also anti-inflammatory substances, which can calm the throat along with boosting the immune system.
Not only that but also its antioxidants eliminate inflammation and give analgesic effects on the tissues of the throat.
So, are you ready to buy our turmeric tea bags for reducing swelling, inflammation, sore throat and illness in just one go?
Brewing recipe :
- Infuse fresh turmeric with simmering water for at least 5 minutes. Then strain it out. You may use one of our tea bags or even powdered turmeric right into the water to create a thicker tea.
- Add honey or lemon juice or even powdered green tea if you like.
If you are a cold food lover then this tea will definitely be your favorite. Its natural menthol flavor cools your throat, so your throat becomes numb relieving pain and removes congestion so that you can breathe a bit easier.
Peppermint tea contains anti-viral, anti-bacterial anti-inflammatory compounds that deliver a very relaxing effect to the throat and helps in dealing with a common cold, chronic inflammatory disorders like bronchial asthma, colitis, allergic rhinitis, etc.
It is also caffeine-free and has a naturally sweet taste that can beat the taste of bitter marshmallow root tea or turmeric tea.
So without any doubt, it is considered as one of the best tea for sore throat.
But, you should drink it sparingly, specifically if you have laryngitis, as menthol can also lead to drying of tissue.
There are various peppermint teas you may find on Amazon.
Brewing recipe :
- Steep fresh peppermint leaves in boiling water for 3-5 minutes, then strain off the leaves. You may use tea bags too as it is much available.
- Add sweetener like honey if you desire.
Another effective old remedy for a whole range of respiratory problems. This herb is available as both fresh leaves or dried sage. Though it has a slight bitterness you may add a few floral notes of honey to soothe the test. Sage is proven to combat bronchitis, cough, asthma, angina, mouth & throat inflammations, bad breath, and viral infections. You may use it in cooking as well. To get the maximum results, try it with rosemary.
Brewing recipe :
- Infuse dried sage (1 teaspoon) or fresh sage leaves (2 teaspoons) for each mug of water.
- Also, you may use 2 full teaspoons of chopped fresh herbs.
- Add the herbs in simmering water for at most 10 minutes and then strain out the leaves. You may add honey to taste.
Cinnamon is a delicious spice rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which provides tons of health benefits.
It’s a traditional remedy for colds and flus that can also help to ease the pain of a sore throat when it is added to spiced tea blends. You may prepare a cinnamon almond milk, in herbal tea or in any black tea blend with a dash of milk & honey and ready up your sore throat medicine. So, enjoy your delightful, relaxing, flavorful cup without the caffeine!
We are including some of our all-time best cinnamon tea brands for you. However, limit your intake of all these teas, as excess intake may cause toxicity issues.
Brewing recipe :
- Take ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, ⅛ teaspoon of baking soda (optional) in a saucepan and mix together. Pour 1 cup of almond milk and heat up the mixture.
- Or simply boil some water with cinnamon in it. Then pour it into a cup & place a teabag of black/white/herbal tea. You may also take cinnamon powder instead of dried cinnamon.
- Add honey or any sweetener of choice.
Readers also love reading Best coffee maker for coffee snobs
Bonus tips to shorten sore throat period
• Gargle warm salt water. Add pinches of baking soda because it can kill fungi of the mucous membranes. It’s important not to swallow the saltwater and it’s not suitable for children.
• Take sufficient fluids or drinks to ward off dehydration. Becoming dehydrated can make headaches and tiredness much worse and can even slow down recovery time. So, aim for 6-8 glasses a day.
• Avoid solid foods, rather eat soft and cool ones.
• Don’t smoke or go along smoky places, and also avoid spicy food.
• Have ice cubes, ice cream, ice lollies, etc. Avoid giving children small things to suck as it may cause chokes.
• Take rest
• Paracetamol and ibuprofen, these pain killers are great at reducing sore throat pain and also reducing a fever.
• Medicated lozenges containing local anesthetics like benzocaine, hexylresorcinol or an anti-inflammatory like flurbiprofen. Have also shown some evidence to reduce sore throat pain by a small amount, these can be used with paracetamol too.
As always with all medication, always read the information leaflet and speak to your pharmacist to make sure you are suitable to take it.
Benefits of drinking tea in the morning
If you observe the lifestyle of leaders, you will find one thing very common. Most of them love drinking tea or coffee in the morning. It gives you a massive boost in your stamina to inspire you to face a brand new day.
There are lots of health benefits of drinking tea in the morning like:
- help improve the radical damage boost the immune system by drinking tea in the morning.
- give you instant energy to accept the challenge
- improve your immune system if you add some lemon with it
- keep your heart sound and active
Still there are tons of health benefits of drinking tea
What makes your throat sore?
Either viral or bacterial infections can be the reason for a sore throat. Viral infections like cold and flu are the most common causes which are usually accompanied by other symptoms like fever, cough and sneezing.Sore throat can also be due to environmental factors like extreme dryness, allergies, shouting and even passive smoking can trigger throat inflammation. Shouting is when we use vocal cords too much and have a sore throat.
What are the common symptoms that cause a sore throat?
The most common sore throat symptoms are pain while swallowing, irritation and hoarseness of voice. Many will find it difficult to swallow food after a throat infection. You may also encounter these symptoms: Mild cough, Fever, Bad headache, Nausea, Tiredness, Swollen glands on the neck
How can I get rid of a sore throat fast overnight ?
In our humble opinion, sore throat can be easily treated at home especially if the remedy is taken when the infection sets in. We offer you our best of all time. You may also prefer types of throat spray, capsules or lozenges. These are the best ways to get rid of sore throat and also plenty of cold and flus.
What should I drink to fight a sore throat?
Herbal teas are best to drink in sore throat. Those are best drunk warm and it has a very soothing effect on the throat and helps ease the inflammation very quickly.
How long will it take to cure sore throat?
Generally it takes 3 to 10 days to fully cure a sore throat which are caused by common viruses or bacteria. But sometimes sore throats caused by bacteria can be connected with a more severe illness. You should go to a doctor if it lasts longer than 10 days.
Can warm salt water gargle remove sore throat properly?
No.Though it is rumored that hot salt water is the best remedy for sore throat, it can’t cure you from sore throat properly. The fact is, the mixture of hot water u0026amp; salt soothes the throat only by osmosis. And once you’re done with gargling, sore throat or flu will attack you again. That’s why you need to try sore throat tea, lozenges, infusions and plenty of fluids for complete treatment.
Which is better, hot drinks or ice pops for sore throats?
In this case, opinions are divided between people who have the belief that hot beverages are best options for sore throats and people who believe that icy beverages are the go-to solution. But studies prove that hot drinks have the best effect.
Should I go out with a sore throat?
It depends if your sore throat is a symptom of a common cold or strep throat. If you have a mild cold, you may go out. But if you are diagnosed with strep throat you shouldn’t go out for at least 24 hours after starting your antibiotics.
For what condition should I consult a doctor for a sore throat?
See a GP if: Your sore throat doesn’t improve after a week, You often get sore throats, You have a sore throat and a very high temperature, or you feel hot and shivery, You have a weakened immune system – for example, because of diabetes or chemotherapy, A severe or long-lasting sore throat could be something like strep throat (a bacterial throat infection)
You are cordially invited to read our amazing articles on personal care products
[As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases]